Sunday, December 25, 2011

My year in reflection

As the year closes to an end and I look forward to the start of a new one I thought I would take the time to reflect on the year that has been. So this post is not humorous as some of my past posts have been and takes a more serious tone. This post is more for me than the readers! This year has been huge for me, so many changes, challenges and new friends. The year started off tough but as I sit here today I realise that I have had one of my best years ever. This time last year I broke up with my long term boyfriend, the person that I always thought I would spend the rest of my life with, so the first few months of the year were quite a challenge finding somewhere new to live and coming to terms with the realisation that I was now single again and not that far off being 30. At first this was a scary and daunting thought but throughout this year I have become a stronger person and I am really happy with my life (very clichéd I know, but also very true). I moved back across to the right side of the river and found a new support network through some amazing girls that I train with, the tri-bal girls are some of the most amazing girls that I have ever met and I am so glad to have been able to form stronger friendships with them this year. I started racing triathlon’s again, after having not raced for a number of years due to living overseas and injury I decided that this year it was now or never and that I would race my first ironman event. However as everyone knows I do not do things in halves so not only did I race Busselton Ironman I also raced a Long Course race at Falls Creek, Half Ironman in Torquay and 70.3 in both Hawaii and Vegas. So yes it has been a big year for me triathlon wise and I have loved almost every minute of it (did get to a low point about 6 weeks out from Busselton with training becoming a little too much, but a night out with Shoney and a number of espresso martini’s fixed everything pretty quickly!). I got a promotion at work (which was probably a good thing given that I decided to invest in a new bike and race wheels – so thanks Schweppes!) I am loving my new role and the challenges that it is providing me with. Professionally I couldn’t be happier with where I am at with my career right now. Other highlights of the year have been:
  • Seeing my brother Ben get married and welcoming a new sister in law Kerry
  • Becoming an aunty again to the adorable baby Zayne
  • Spending time with my family and really appreciating the great relationships that I have with them and how supportive they have been to me throughout the year
  • Having my dad come to Busselton with me to share in my Ironman achievement, the race was all that more special knowing that Dad was there supporting me throughout the whole day
  • Competing in the world 70.3 championships in Las Vegas

So as the year comes to an end I would like to thank all of my amazing family and friends for their friendship, support and encouragement that they have provided me with throughout the year. I am really loving this festive season as I get to enjoy it with you all. I am looking forward to the new year and journey to Ironman number 2, I am looking forward to turning 30 (after all 30 is the new 20), and I am looking forward to continuing to blog about Bikes, Boys and Baking. So Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to anyone who is reading this.

No comments:

Post a Comment