Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Anger and frustration is the best training partner!

The last week has been a little bit of an emotional roller coaster, I consumed far too much alcohol on the weekend and turned into a crazy person making a complete and utter fool of myself and hence the reason for starting a 6 week ban from alcohol! The goal was to get back into serious training this week but for various reasons it hasn't quite gone to plan. My day at the office was looking like it was going to be a long one today until I had coffee with a friend at lunch and he said "there is only so much you can do and no point in pushing yourself working late every night, life's too short" damn right it is. So I think much to the surprise of my work colleagues I walked out the door tonight at 5pm on the dot!
Got home pulled on the runners, cranked up the iPod and went running in the sun. What an awesome run, another 10km under the belt and this time 30sec faster per km than Saturday (still slow but a significant improvement). As I pounded the pavement I could feel my anger and frustration slowly releasing with each step, the further I went the faster I ran. I got home feeling great! Relaxed and with a clear head. My swim coach Colin does always say I swim faster when I'm angry so perhaps this will be my new secret training weapon!
Still haven't been back in the pool yet, Friday! I promise...

No comments:

Post a Comment