Saturday, January 3, 2015

10 things only a mum would do!

Since becoming a mum there are a few things that I never thought I would do before becoming a mum!

1. When out in public and discovering baby has done a nappy explosion, using hand to cover over the clothing covered in poo so that people don't see that your child has poo everywhere and judges you as a bad parent! - this happened just last week when waiting in a very long line at a petrol station counter and was of course followed by a nappy change and outfit change in the boot of the car which has been done many times before.

2. Go more than a week without washing my hair, dry shampoo is really a wonderful thing.  It seems that every time I wash my hair chunks fall out anyway so best to minimise the number of times it is washed to ensure I don't end up bald!

3. Go to the toilet whilst wearing a baby. What is one to do when wearing a sleeping baby in a baby carrier whilst busting for the loo, there is no way I am waking up the baby when she is sleeping and when you need to wee you need to wee, bladder control after having a baby is not the same as it used to be!

4. Be wide awake in the middle of the night even though my baby is fast asleep and has been for hours. I lie awake at times imagining I hear the sound of my baby, only to check on her via the baby video monitor and see that she is fast asleep. This can repeat multiple times a night, despite being extremely tired.

5. Talk baby talk, I always said I was never going to talk baby talk and speak to my children the same way I would speak to any adult. I have to confess I speak baby talk at least once a day.

6. Not even blink an eyelid when baby spews all over you, just wipe it up and keep on going. It's particularly awesome when somehow they manage to vomit right down your top and you end up with a pool of vomit sitting in your extremely attractive maternity bra.

7. Think my baby was adorable when really they kind of weren't! I always said that if my baby wasn't cute I'd be able to see that and admit it, but of course you realise when becoming a parent that you always think your baby is very cute. As I started pulling together her photo albums I looked back to the very early photos and came to the realisation that she was really a rather grumpy looking baby as first and took awhile to grow into her chubby cheeks. Now of course I think she is the cutest baby in the world (not a biased mum at all).

8. I never thought that I would ever want to be a stay at home mum. I have always enjoyed my career and worked hard to get to where I am, yet I now find that I am loving spending my days with my baby girl and watching her grow and change every single day. Sure I miss my career but I know that when I return to work I will miss my baby girl a million times more. I thought that I would be bored after a few weeks and itching to go back to work, but now at the thought of returning to work in only 5 weeks I am wishing I had many more weeks at home with my little girl.

9. Go to bed before the sun has gone down. Yes there has been many a night when after putting little miss to bed at 7.30 I have followed shortly after, having to pull down the blinds to block out the sun. I can now understand why parents don't like daylight savings.

10. Be a worrier! Ok well maybe this one was present prior to becoming a mum, those who know me well would probably say that I have always been a worrier only now this has increased 10 fold!  I worried in the early days when she slept for too long whether she was still breathing or not, I worry about every little cough, rash or mark on her little body, I worry if she is too hot or too cold, I worry if I am making enough milk for her and spend endless hours producing my own smoothies or biscuits to try to increase milk supply. 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing these 10 thing, yea its really only done my mum.
    http://mysleepingguide.com/

    ReplyDelete