Sunday, September 16, 2012

Cycling v Triathlon

After having raced my first cycling event today I'm now finding myself torn between pursuing another quest for Ironman or to take up cycling instead!
I had an amazing time racing today, great ride, great location and a well organised event. It was also much more relaxed which meant I didn't get the nerves I usually do when racing tri's.
Because I entered the event only a few days ago it meant I had to start in one of the last groups. This had its advantages and disadvantages. The downside was that all the good riders were in the front groups meaning that I missed out on latching on to a fast pack. The positive was that I spent most of the day passing people which was definitely a very good feeling!!
I felt great on the bike, really comfortable and relaxed as we headed out of Lorne along the Great Ocean Rd. Turning up to start the king of the mountain climb I was feeling pumped and wanting to give it a good crack, felt like I worked up the hill fairly effortlessly and passed a lot of riders along the way.
Managed the 120km fairly easily given I haven't done a lot of training lately, the last climb at the very end of the course took a bit out of me but was rapt when I finished.
I managed to finish 10th in my age category, on King of the Mountain I came 7th and was 36th female overall!! Not bad I say!!
So now I am pondering cycling over tri's!! Less stress on my knees and would be good to see how good I could get with a bit of training! So I have emailed a cycling club to enquire on joining!

No comments:

Post a Comment