Friday, October 9, 2015

Triathlon of a different kind!

Pre baby I used to get up at the crack of dawn on a Saturday morning and cycle for countless hours to train for triathlons. Post baby I am still getting up the crack of dawn but instead of training for triathlons I'm completing one of a very different kind!!
The alarm goes off at 6am and it's pre transition time, fuelling time (for baby, not me!). A happy smile always greets me as I enter her room with bottle and teddy in hand, big good morning hugs for teddy as she gulps down her milk, such a peaceful time of the day as I hold her in my arms knowing that all too soon she will be too big for this. With the bottle slammed down it is time to commence leg one of the day! 
The breakfast challenge commences with me attempting to cook eggs and make coffee with a toddler at my feet emptying out the Tupperware cupboard.  Has a whole room of toys that she could be playing with but of course if I'm in the kitchen so too is she.  With brekky cooked we sit down to eat our avo and eggs and drink our coffees (babycino of course for the baby!), eggs and avo are everywhere and then of course teddy has to join and eat brekky too, then dolly and penguin.  Before I know it I'm hosting a very messy breakfast party, all whilst having to read "where is the green sheep".
With leg one out the way we transition to leg two. This transition is always a challenging one and can take anywhere from 2 minutes to 10 minutes depending on how co-operative the little monkey wants to be. It's time to get dressed and change the horrendous smelling stench coming from one tiny little human. If nappy changing was a race I would be losing today, it's like trying to hold down a wriggling octopus whilst trying not to get poo everywhere. Finally after an extremely long transition we are set for leg 2 and we're off to the park to burn off some energy.  Melbourne weather has finally started to warm up and it's so nice to be able to leave the house early in shorts and t-shirt, it also makes life much easier getting the tiny human dressed when not having to wear 5 layers of clothing.
I don't know who burns off the most energy at the park as I chase around after a laughing squealing baby that now runs rather than walks (I wonder where she gets that from). 
We go our seperate ways for leg 3, baby goes down for a nap while mummy crams in a session on the wind trainer. There is nothing better than the taste of sweat as I work through 15 x 1 minute sprints. No more 4 hour rides, I train smarter now with short sharp sessions that can fit into nap times or work lunch breaks.
It's not even 10am and already it feels as though we've achieved so much, soon baby will be up and we still have a whole day of adventure left ahead of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment