Friday, October 30, 2015

Celebrating a promotion by caring for baby with gastro!!

2 weeks I blogged about myself having gastro and how hard it is to be sick when you are a mum, at the time I high fived the fact that Mia managed to stay healthy.  Today I was not so lucky, the day started with Mia projectile vomiting a bottle of milk all over me, teddy and the floor.  After vomiting though she was happy and laughing so I thought (wishful thinking) it could be just an isolated incident as that has happened before.  So we finished getting ready and left the house for work and childcare, me still smelling like baby spew.  After being at work for about 30 minutes I saw the childcare number appear on my phone and upon answering learnt that Mia had vomitted up her breakfast so it was a very short lived day at work and off to go collect a sick baby. Probably not a bad thing as I think my colleagues noticed the odour of baby spew, so much so that someone offerred up a bottle of sickly strong cheap perfume to try to mask the stench!
Whilst part of me wanted nothing more than to be there to care for my little girl, the thought of a day dealing with vomit and poo was not really how I wanted to be spending my Friday.  Especially not the Friday where my promotion at work was officially being announced. I can't complain, whilst Mia may have been sick today she sure is a little trooper.  One tough little cookie that clearly takes after her mummy!! 
I was about to say that I feel lucky for receiving a promotion at work, especially now that I am a working mum, but that's exactly the kind of statement a woman would make.  Yes I guess I am lucky, but I earnt it based on my performance, I've proven that I can still deliver a high standard at work as well as being a great mum to my little girl.  Yes sometimes I have to compromise and more often than not, that compromise is work as Mia will always come first. Yes I often spend my evenings on the laptop finishing off some work but if it means leaving the office at a reasonable hour to spend time with my gorgeous girl then that is exactly what I will do.  
So here's to my promotion and surviving a day with a baby with gastro, definitely much easier caring for a sick baby than trying to care for a healthy baby whilst being sick!! 
I may not be out celebrating with friends over wine (my body will probably thank me tomorrow) but I am about to sit down to a home cooked chilli & garlic prawn pasta with a glass of wine. I have Magic Mike 2 in the DVD player and a tub of chocolate icecream in the freezer, not to mention a baby peacefully sleeping in her cot. So not such a bad Friday after all!!

No comments:

Post a Comment