Friday, January 8, 2016

Feeling Alive

Funnily enough it's the 3 things in the title of my blog that make me the happiest! Biking, baking and of course my baby (despite her really not being a baby anymore). After a week where I have at times felt quite down and angry with myself for feeling that way I needed to get out of my rut. Maybe it's the post holiday blues or the fact that I seem to know a million people that got engaged over the festive season that has got me feeling a little down. So this morning I jumped on the bike and pedaled, I probably wouldn't have actually got out of bed if it hadn't have been for the fact that I committed to meet a friend to cycle. The last thing I felt like doing this morning was ride, but I wasn't about to let my friend down! I warned her that I'd probably be a bit slow given the extreme exhaustion I felt after a week of sleepless nights. Once I started riding though I felt great, the further we cycled the better I felt, we rode along the beach through the hills at Mt Martha and I truly felt alive. I hadn't cycled down there since ironman training and had forgotten how truly beautiful it was. Before I knew it I was smashing those hills and powering along as though trying to prove something to myself. I managed to leave my buddies for dead at one point (sorry Sez and Lou!) and they remembered what it was like to ride with the little mountain goat!! Maybe it was all of the excess sugar that I consumed yesterday that provided me with all of the energy or maybe I aren't quite as unfit as I think I am! 
I'm feeling slightly exhausted and my legs somewhat numb but boy do I feel alive and realize just how much I love getting out on the bike, having time for me, releasing all of my negative thoughts and self doubt and just catching up with good friends as we pedal along. 

No comments:

Post a Comment