Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Survived week 1!

I am pleased to say that both Mia and mummy survived week one of me being back at work! Unfortunately week 2 is not quite going to plan, with little miss already sick with her first childcare illness!
After our last minute childcare debacle I am extremely comfortable with the new centre we found for Mia and my transition back to work last week was made all that smoother with the comfort of knowing that my little bubba was being well looked after by some wonderful carers.  In fact Mia enjoyed her days at care so much she didn't even want to know me when I went to pick her up, she was too busy playing with new toys and new friends! This did make me feel a little sad, knowing my bubba could survive just fine without her mummy, whilst this week has been hard with Mia being unwell it is nice to know that in times of pain all she wants to do is snuggle up close and have some cuddles with her mummy and that she does need me after all.
Returning to the office it was as though I had never left, a few new faces around the office but not much has changed and I felt like I hit the ground running. I always thought the most challenging part of returning to work would be leaving my little girl, of course I found it hard saying goodbye to her but I did surprise myself and didn't shed a tear as I dropped her off at care with her smiling little face looking at me as if too say "I'm ok mummy, you don't have to worry about me, I love you and I'll have fun today". I also thought that I would struggle to focus on my job as I would be constantly thinking and worrying about my little girl, but again I surprised myself, of course I thought about her during the day and I did miss her but I was able to focus on my job.
I actually loved being back at work, though it could just be a novelty factor, so will see if I am still saying that I love work in a months time!
I did quickly realise a few things upon my return to work:
- wearing heals after 6 months of wearing sneakers and thongs was painful 
- 1 coffee a day is no longer going to cut it, though 3 coffees is probably 1 too many
- it is awesome being near the Sth Melb market again, hello cheap avocados and nice fresh seafood
- the task of leaving for work in the morning requires a lot more coordination and effort as I have to organise not only myself but also my mini me
- no longer can I get home from work and collapse on the couch with a glass of wine, for when I get home from the office my other job begins and the challenge of dinner, bath and bed becomes all that more challenging after being at work for the day
- I now have to get up at a time that begins in a 4 if I still want to squeeze in some exercise before work! I always used to have the rule that no alarm should ever be set beginning in anything less than a 5!!
- it is exhausting having to use my brain again
- using excel is like riding a bike but PowerPoint still frustrates the hell out of me
- the weekends are now awesome because the time I do spend with Mia is so much more special




No comments:

Post a Comment